Transition: The Gutsy Move to Adult Care
Transition means change.
For the Pediatric IBD team at Mac Kids, transition is an ongoing process or journey from the Pediatric team and clinic to the Adult IBD team and clinic. It is about becoming more independent and responsible for your choices in life and your health care needs.
Preparation is the key to a successful transition. The goal of transition is to reach your best level of independence. Gradually, you move from dependence on your parents and care givers to independently managing your IBD.
- In the beginning of transition, at around 12 to 14 years of age, you are learning new knowledge and responsibility.
- Then at around 14 to 17 years, you build your knowledge and practice your independence.
- At age 16 you will be invited to the Adolescent and Young Adult (AYA) IBD Transition Clinic.( put in pictures of team and Boris clinic with location) Your first appointment will be with both a Pediatric IBD and Adult IBD doctor and team members.
- This will be a yearly appointment for age 17 and 18. You will continue all you regular follow appointments and care in the 3E clinic and the Ped IBD team till 18 years old.
- During your 18-22yrs you can continue in the AYA IBD Transition clinic or transfer anytime to your Adult IBD doctor at the hospital or in your local area.
Before your first appointment around 16 -17 years old in the AYA IBD Transition Clinic please follow the steps below to have a smooth and successful transition process and experience.
- Visit the websites below and visit the apple app store to down load the MYTransition App to your phone.
- Prepare a 3 sentence written summary listed below .
Check out the 3E Kids Dig Health website: https://www.kidsdighealth.org
Click on Transition to Adult Care ( at the top of page) for Transition information. Remember to click on “you” for your clip board steps for Transition. There is one for your “parents” as well.
Check out the Adult IBD clinic website: www.mcmasteribd.com
MYTransition app– Download for free at the apple app store on your phone. Keep all your IBD information here including a list of your medications and pharmacy number. The TransQ questionnaire is a tool that will be used often to see how ready you are for transitioning to the Adult IBD Clinic and is located on the MYTransition app.
My 3 Sentence Summary:
- Age at Diagnosis and brief history.
- Treatment Plan ( include a list of your current medications)
- Questions or concerns for visit
Eventually, you take charge!!
Transition isn’t just for you, it’s for your parents and the Pediatric IBD team. All members of your IBD health team will help and guide you and your parents through this process.
For more information, please see the accompanying information for you and your parents.